Try it!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bathroom break

I understand that, given the pressure to click, contract attorneys are somewhat limited in the time they have for activities not related to the job at hand, at least if they want to get paid for the job at hand. The agency and, by extension, the firm know how often you are clicking, so they can tell when you are away. Too much time with no clicking, and a contract attorney is likely to get the phone call or email letting them know that the project is over -- at least for them.

Alas, this leads to some predictable but undesirable results. I won't say nobody else does it, but I will say that nobody spends more time on their cell phones in the bathroom than contract attorneys. I can't begin to count how many times I have stood next to someone, taking a leak, as that person blabbed away on his phone to someone who had to be at least a little creeped out by the background noise. Likewise, I frequently hear voices emerging from stalls, clearly on the phone, making me want to scream, "He's taking a dump while he talks to you!" Haven't done that yet, but it's out there.

I understand why it happens. People are pressed for time, yada yada yada. But if you care what the person on the other end of the phone thinks, why would you do it?

I don't know. The only thing I know about this whole matter is, when someone is in the can with me, talking on the phone, I pee as loud as I can and flush early and often. I might even shout out about what a great dump I'm taking. Perhaps this will introduce an element of shame and the realization that just because you can talk on the phone in a particular place doesn't mean you should.

No comments: