Try it!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Off topic

After toying with the idea of including political commentary in this blog (since the temp world was being recalcitrant in providing me with copy) I decided not to go there. After all, at least in DC, most temps are liberals, and it wouldn't make sense to alienate a majority of my primary readership. On the other hand, I recently had a comment that made me reconsider. My commenter stated that he "may not trust government but I trust powerful private interests that run things when government steps aside even less."

My first thought was, Wow. My second thought was, this is what is wrong with liberal thinking. Please follow through. What can corporations do to you if you don't work for them? Damn little, except charge what the market will bear for their services. What can government do to you? Take all you own and call it a tax? Make you buy what they say is essential to the national well-being and call it a mandate? (Fortunately, this remains subject to judicial review for consitutionality.) Jail you for violating laws never passed by the national legislature that make no sense and no one was aware of ? (EPA, kids, just for one example.) How many corporations have SWAT teams the way the Department of Education does? (Don't take my word for it, do your homework. What am I, your mother?) The power to coerce action is unique to the government. And you fear corporations more? Really?

2 comments:

Fenris said...

Didn't mean to distract you from the often hilarious hijinx of Temp Town.

I'm no more likely to change your mind about this than you are to change mine. I read history books. Private actors had a lot more freedom to do whatever they could make a buck doing 100 years ago. For 98% of us it sucked on every level.

Leon Pancetta said...

Nor do I think either of US will change the other's mind. However, I will still chime in, and point out that while corporations may not be able to officially tax us, they can jack up prices of critical goods when there is actually no shortage and nothing approaching an equivalent increase in the cost to the corporation, all to take advantage of our fear and a claimed international crisis (and check out, e.g., Exxon's profits). And as for laws never passed by a legislature, corporations and lobbyists (read: corporations) are the authors and inspiration behind the bulk of the regulations that put the meaning and rules behind laws, whether passed by legislatures or not. Then, of course, there is the revolving door that welcomes lawmakers to their new corporate homes when they are tired of being public servants and are longing for some cheddar to soothe their weary bank accounts -- and all they have to do is peddle a little influence. (That works both ways, of course -- don't you find it interesting that corporate CEOs and other big players spend time toiling in influential-but-low-paying government roles in between stints on Wall Street or in corporate headquarters? I know I do.) I'd rant further, but have to go now. Anyway, regardless of our political and ideological differences, keep up the good work....you're a really talented writer and a really enjoyable read. Thanks.