Try it!

Monday, May 14, 2012

The whistling door whistles no more.

I am on a new project, and I am disappointed to find that the whistling door is now silent. Apparently that was a winter thing. No longer can I play "Ode to Joy" by messing with the bathroom door. Oh, well. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you have two choices: hit the link up there, or remain blissfully ignorant).

In any event, we are back in the land of no cell phone reception, internet so crappy and slow we might as well not have it (yes, this is intentional on the part of the firm) and only 40 hours a week. The firm shall remain nameless, unless they really piss me off. On the plus side at this point, they are letting us do 40 hours in four days. So we've got that going for us. And yes, this is a revival of a project I already left twice because it sucks. Here I am, back (inadvertently) for a third time. Nobody told me what the project was before I decided that working was better than not. Seriously, there should be a buyer's remorse out, like with cars.

1 comment:

Fenris said...

It's the asymmetry of it that's so galling. Like playing poker except that you have to play with your cards face up. They can burn you on a moment's notice but God forbid you ever leave them (agency and firm alike) high and dry. Maybe either or both will get desperate enough to call you again; maybe either or both have a short institutional memory. That's not a risk people living at the margins can really afford to take.

Actually this is a useful metaphor at some level for almost every transaction that happens in allegedly "free" markets, which is why I have no particular attachment to them as some golden rule of how the world ought to be run.