Try it!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

I'm pretty sure she didn't design the flag

Every project has its characters, some good, some bad, some just there. Usually, I am one of them, although I am never "just there." Sometimes I'm a "good" character, sometimes "bad." Unlike the president, I have never voted present. I don't much care whether people view me as "good" or "bad." Let's face it, I won't even remember their names when the project is over.

To me, most temps are just there. It's why I don't bother to remember their names, if I even bother to learn them. Sometimes, I give them nicknames that endure, but that's usually because they are "bad" characters. Sometimes  it's because they are memorable, but not for reasons they might choose. Think Headphones Boy, or Moby and the hobo. (I still think Moby and the Hoboes is a great name for a band.) Sometimes, though, I give nicknames that endure to people I actually like.

Which brings us to Betsy Ross. As the title of this post implies, we're not talking about the historical Betsy Ross, and I am passing no judgment on whether this particular Betsy Ross had anything to do with the design of the original American flag. I am fairly confident she's too young to have had a hand in that.

A strange, wandering and impossible-to-replicate conversation one night on this project revealed that Betsy, whose name is not Betsy, is eligible to join the Daughters of the American Revolution. And was interested in doing so once a me-guided conversation revealed that fact. (I was talking about the Society of the Cincinnati -- look it up -- which led us to the DAR and the Colonial Dames -- look that up, too. What am I, your mother?) Anyway, once she expressed interest in the DAR, she became Betsy Ross. She's new to Temp Town, and it is tempting to abuse the shit out of her. I think not, though. Even though she's a Yankee. In the Temp Town hierarchy, she's definitely not one of the bad guys, and she doesn't seem to be "just there." That really leaves only one choice. Like a lot of people I met, I hope she isn't in Temp Town long, although not for my sake. Temp Town if full of people who deserve to be there. It also is full of people you really hope escape. Some of them actually can.

No comments: