Try it!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Represent! Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Yeah, feels a little early. I don't really like this whole "closest Monday" shit when it comes to national holidays. It has far more to do with government unions -- so that government employees can get a three-day weekend -- than anything else. When I was a kid, I liked getting holidays from school in the middle of the week. I hated that shit when it changed.

OK, fine, I've established that I am an old fuck. Nonetheless, unlike the president, I know who we are honoring this weekend, and you should remember it, too.  This nation has been defended by thousand upon thousands of Americans who have given their lives to ensure we remain free. Memorial Day is for the ones who didn't make it home. Veterans Day is for everybody who served.  On Memorial Day, we give thanks to those who paid the ultimate price to preserve our freedom. And so I represent with our brand-new flag:



The old one got torn and has been retired in keeping with regulations (Lance Corporal Wolves made sure of that). While I wish everybody realized the distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans' Day, I really wish the president did.


"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."
I guess it's not his fault, since he didn't grow up in this country for the most part. Still.

No comments: