Try it!

Monday, August 12, 2013

No way to run a railroad

There is (was?) a project at the agency I'm working at that just underwent a string of communications from the agency that pretty much affirmed for me that I need to find another way to make a living. Apparently, this project was drawing to a close. A number of people on the project had been told that they would be working another four weeks or so on the privilege log. These folks went home Friday night secure in the knowledge that they still had a project for another month, more or less.

Imagine their surprise when they got an email from the agency that night saying "Yeah, you're fired," just like everybody else on the project. No more work, done, go home, stay there.

Naturally, having been told they were being kept on for another four weeks or so to work on privilege issues, the privilege people deluged the agency with emails demanding clarification. Surely the "You're fired" email did not apply to those people told they would be working on privilege issues for four more weeks.

In response, they received an email that said, "No, really, you're fired. Seriously you guys."

Disheartened, no doubt they resigned themselves to their fate, victims of Rule No. 1. Then the people who thought they had a privilege gig got another email. This one said, "Disregard the previous email. You're not fired."

No doubt there was much rejoicing. Unemployment avoided, starvation averted, the ability to pay bills maintained. What's not to like?

And then came email No. 4, which said "Disregard the previous email. You're still fired."

That's the last I heard about that project. Quite a weekend, I guess. Glad my project continues apace, but it still makes me want to find a new way to make a living. Not sure my chain could take a yank like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

You're in a crazy business, and you've got to have brass balls to be making a living this way.

Good luck, man.

R.A.F

Anonymous said...

I work as a contractor in the IT industry. Your gig is much, much tougher! I usually get a few weeks notice before the "gig is up."

Regards,

B