Try it!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

County fair, part one

 Went to the county fair Saturday and have been trying to post about it ever since. Anyone who has been to a county fair -- and all county fairs are rural, since urban counties don't have them -- knows that there are a few dominant elements: Food, cheesy products for sale, rides, and the 4-H elements -- animals, crafts, cooking and vegetables. This is going to be a multi-part post, because I took a lot of pictures and so I am breaking it up. We're starting today with food and cheesy products. First of all, the fair is where you get stuff deep-fried:


Down South we call these elephant ears:

Please note that Garbage Fries include "fresh cut fries, chili, cheese and gravy." It don't get no better than that.


You can get normal stuff that's bad for you, too:



Of course, it wouldn't be a county fair without genuinely gauche products for sale:


Of course, there were some hats you might wear, as well:


Sorry, belt-buckle pictures didn't come out. And I didn't go in to find out what the "Little Ol' Country Store" was selling, on account of my wife and our friends were on a mission or something.


I did, however, get a shot of the awful tee-shirts stand (not to imply there was only one):

I think I will leave it at that for tonight because I'm tired, but there are several more fair posts coming. Stay tuned.

No comments: