Try it!

Friday, September 20, 2013

County fair, part three

Just so we're clear, I am giving up major sleep for this, so I want a little gratitude from you people. Or, you could just keep coming by. Whatever.

In any event, we're getting down to the nitty-gritty of the county fair: farm stuff. There was a whole bunch of farm equipment on display, as well as a good bit of you-don't-have-a-farm-but-you-have-lots-of-land equipment. This category included, of course, industrial strength riding mowers:

 Freaky-deaky, but the controls require both hands, which kind of rules out the whole beer thing. That's why I prefer a lawn tractor with a mowing attachment to these riding mowers. Mow with one hand, drink with the other. At an hour per acre, you don't want to be dry that long, which you will be with these bad boys:


Naturally, there was a bunch of actual farm equipment, too:

The air-conditioned cabs are a little bit of a change from days gone by. I don't know how the hell you're supposed to get a farmer's tan sealed up in one of these bad boys;


Some of the equipment smelled more like construction than farming. Sure, you often need this kind of stuff on a farm -- unless you want to dig your farm pond by hand -- but not often enough to own it, I think. Borrow or rent, I say. Still, good-looking stuff.

In lots of pretty colors:


Small display of days-gone-by stuff, as well:


From back when you could work on a malfunctioning engine yourself, no computer diagnostics required:


Wouldn't be a county fair without some pure farm equipment, though, like this big-ass combine:


Yeah, you know who had this on display. Nothing runs like a Deere:


Didn't note the brand, but somebody had a freaking ginormous tractor on display that children found irresistable. One girl thought being between the tires was cool:


Another apparently wanted to move into the rim:


Other kids I saw (none of them mine) seemed to share these sentiments.

Of course, it ain't the fair with no rides. Truthfully, we didn't do any rides and only came in contact with them when coincidence brought us to them, but I felt like I should document what I saw of the rides nonetheless. I guess Reithoffer's ran the midway this year:


 This looked kind of like a vomit machine:


Saw the ferris wheel, too:


This was a kiddie ride that a number of kids were crying on:


The fun slide looked a little tame, but maybe not to the 7-year-olds trying it out:


As the sun sinks slowly in the West, we look and see the ferris wheel lighting up, with the sunset-silhouetted Braddock Mountain in the background:


Night fell, as it tends to do, and the ferris wheel and the midway lit up. Looked nice, not that my cheap little camera could show all that:


I've got one more post on the county fair. Hope you're not bored to death yet. On the other hand, if you are, refer to the title of the blog.

3 comments:

RAF said...

Guilt-tripping readers into returning. I like the cheekiness of it.

Raised.by.wolves said...

Look, if it works, I'll do it. Damn, I'm tired. Please reward my exhaustion by continuing to come by.

RAF said...

I am not disagreeing. I just wish I had the imagination to come up with Haiku-blogging and guilt tripping and shit.

Can't you sleep at work? :-)