Try it!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

County fair, part two

Naturally, the county fair is centered around agriculture. They've been doing this in my county for 151 years apparently, and the point is mainly to pop off about what a growing-shit badass you are. I'm down with that. Name a vegetable, somebody got a ribbon for Best in Show:


I grow peppers my own self, and I might have to enter next year.


 Their spuds were bigger, though:


 I can't touch this. The winning pumpkin in the yellow variety was 220 pounds.


Them some big watermelons, too:


These, apparently are chinese squash. Who knew:


I was pretty pleased with my zucchini until I saw these:


Finished products also were on display. The fruit of the vine was embodied in homemade beer and wine:

I need to get me a gig judging this shit. Please note that the winning wines are just empty bottles. Can't judge it without drinking it, right?


Yeah, we got livestock. These are cows:


This is a cow's ass:


This is another cow. I also took a picture of the cow's ass that was next to this cow, but I decided that one cow's ass was really enough,  don't you think?


Some of these are beef cattle, some are dairy cattle. Pretty sure this is steak on the hoof:


In keeping with fair traditions, these cattle were raised by 4-H kids, none of them out of high school. Several put up signs thanking their sponsors:


This means I can go down to the Urbana Giant and buy me a chunk of the cow in the background of this photo:


Nobody's eating this horse, though:


The horses we saw -- and most weren't there, because they were off racing -- were sulky horses. They pull little carts like these and people bet on the outcome:


And let us not forget that magical animal, the pig. Lot of bacon on the hoof at the fair.


Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, bacon:


Got more, but it's late and there's already a lot of pictures here. More coming.

No comments: