Try it!

Friday, February 7, 2014

Yeah, another document review haiku, with bonus haiku

In response to the reduction in our hours window that I wrote about here, I was inspired to write yet another haiku. I won't bother you with the original Japanese version, but I have here a translation that still fits the syllable pattern requirements for haiku. (You didn't buy any of that shit, did you?):

Hours get reduced
Confidence is waning fast
Angst level rising

This is the kind of crap that runs through temp minds any time there is a change to the parameters of their project, particularly a long-term project. Because every project ends tomorrow, every change in a project is viewed as a sign that the project is, in fact, ending tomorrow. With this project, there is no evidence to support that view, but it is a popular view, nonetheless. I don't think the project is ending, but I think our hours cap is about to come down. Note the new firm did not cut our cap, they cut our window to reach the cap. In many ways, the same thing. There now is no flexibility if you want to get to 60 hours. You simply have to be there. Ice storm? Make it in. Snow? Make it in. And not just make it in -- make it in at the opening bell at 7 am. Otherwise, you will fall short of 60.

Obviously, the law firm knows this, too, so they either don't care if we are able to get to 60, or they don't want us to. I lean toward the latter. Of course, I am a pessimist when it comes to projects, at least post 2008 (when the market fell apart and rates crashed), but I think my pessimism is justified. Maybe a better haiku for this situation, where the cap is intact but the window is closed a little:

Hours window shrinks.
Project maybe not healthy?
No one fucking knows.

No comments: