Try it!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

A nice reader response about Adm. Denton

Almost as soon as I put it up, I received a very nice response to my post about the passing of Rear Adm. Jeremiah Denton. The reader, the daugher of an Air Force veteran who lived at Hickam Air Force Base in Honolulu in the early 1970s, said:
Made me think of all the times my parents took my brother and me to Hickam airport to welcome home the POWs when they landed at Hickam. We lived on base and missed hardly any of those homecomings. Not sure I understood my emotions at age 12 but I'm sure I was grateful that my dad had come home two years earlier after spending 1969 in Saigon. Certainly easier duty than your dad's at Khe San but a plenty scary 12 months for an 8-9 year old girl.  
As I told her: those were  hard times for a lot of 8-year-olds.

No comments: