Try it!

Monday, October 6, 2014

Yeah, there's still a little life left in the farm

Went by the farm Saturday to try and salvage things. The weather this summer was for shit and my schedule pretty much kept me off the farm for weeks on end, and the owner of the land -- my farming partner -- was kind of lackadaisical about it, so we didn't get all that much out of the farm this year. Nonetheless, the peppers and tomatoes are still producing, so Saturday I picked up a bunch of tomatoes and canned them. I also perused the peppers, and some are drying as we speak. Anyway, this is what I saw.

Naturally, I took Jeb the Wonder Dog, who is absolutely unable to keep his head inside the car:


When we got there, Jeb stood guard:


After detecting no major threats, he relaxed his stance a bit:


As it turned out, there were some peppers worth harvesting. Here, hidden by leaves, are some nice red bell peppers. Still a bit green, I gambled and left them on the vine until next weekend:


Got jalapenos:


And still more jalapenos:


I left those on the vine to ripen more. I took a bunch of chilis and habaneros, which are what is drying, plus some jalapenos that had gone red. Should be able to make some pretty good hot pepper powder this year. Also looking at making habanero-infused salt. Experimenting right now, but I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments: