Try it!

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

OK, that hurt

So, at about 2 pm Tuesday (yesterday), we all got an email that Christmas Eve would be normal hours for the project -- 8 am to 7 pm. At about 4:30 pm, we got this:
All-
The client has asked that Project Star shut down until Monday, January 5, 2015. We will operate until 7pm this evening and then be on extended break until the 5th. There is no work tomorrow, Wednesday, Dec. 24, and all of next week.
I regret bringing this news to you and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. It is my sincere hope that this time will play a positive role in your lives and in the lives of your loved ones as time spent together during a special time of the year.
As always, do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns, and thank you for the time and hard work you have put in on this project.
Warm regards and best wishes for the new year.
The person sending the email works for the agency and had nothing to do with this sudden decision to shove large and thorny objects into orifices that were never meant to take incoming traffic. Naturally, this hiatus raises serious questions about whether there will actually be a project on the Monday after New Year's. That certainly is not the way to bet, so anyone who can find a new project, will. Yeah, I've applied for three already. This is not a great time of year to get a new project, so none of the ones I applied for start before Jan. 5, when this project supposedly resumes, but I am trying to keep my options open. I would really like to tell these folks to fuck off.

I've talked before about how firms and clients have absolutely no concern about temps and treat us like completely fungible goods -- widgets. This move stands as absolute proof of that. Yes, they are totally within their rights as at-will employers to put us on hiatus. They are completely within their rights to simply fire us without warning. But to put us on hiatus over the holidays -- a time when we already were expecting reduced hours and were worried about making the January mortgage -- without warning and in contradiction of earlier announcements is simply unacceptable, within their rights or not. Further, because we haven't actually been fired, no one can apply for unemployment benefits to mitigate the fucking we just endured. They have no reason to expect any of us to be their when they "restart" the project.

Unfortunately, because it is a shitty time of year to find work, some people will be there Jan. 5 if the project resumes. Naturally, there were projects available last week, but none of us applied for those, because we felt secure. I always adhere to Rule No. 3 -- every project ends tomorrow -- so I left with the same things I came to work with, as every day I bring nothing I care if I ever see again if it gets left behind. Many people leaving yesterday looked like sherpas on an Everest expedition, toting their shit home. I also saved some postings for jobs from last week, so I applied to all of those yesterday. We'll see how that works out. Maybe I'll just sit home next week, maybe this project really will start up again on Jan. 5.

And maybe I'll have a new gig starting Jan. 5 so I can tell these guys to suck it. I'm rooting for door no. 3. As it stands -- merry fucking Christmas.

No comments: