Try it!

Saturday, June 6, 2015

For those of you who might have missed it, today is the 71st anniversary of D-Day

Probably the most risky, certainly the most costly in terms of lives, military endeavor in American military history, the landings at Normandy on June 6, 1944, stand as a watermark of human determination, bravery, sacrifice and achievement. I don't know how much millenials even realize that. I grew up with a generation where most of the adult males had served in World War II, many of them in the defining battles of that war. Over the years, my neighbors included veterans of Pearl Harbor, D-Day, the Battle of the Bulge and Guadalcanal. Those names mean nothing to so many of today's youth -- I blame the education system -- but I knew what it meant. Because I always lived on or near military bases, these are the men I grew up with. I know I will never be their equal, because I don't know if I could do this:


On the other hand, they didn't know, either. I like to believe people rise to the occasion. These guys sure as hell did. And we honored a lot of them just days ago on Memorial Day. RIP, guys, and thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Those young men saved a continent full of people. Remember them.

/RAF