Try it!

Monday, November 16, 2015

I still got no damn idea what really happened

When I got off the Metro this morning to go to work, the street I normally would walk down to get to the building where my project is -- I decline to call it my office building, because as a temp it isn't "mine" -- was blocked by police tape. I promptly walked up the block to take a different street -- also blocked by tape reading "Police Line -- Do Not Cross." So I asked the police officer manning that corner, "Why is the sidewalk blocked?"

Apparently, this gained me major points with this officer, as she was really tired of people asking, "Is this sidewalk closed?" or words to that effect. I asked why, and so she was happy to share information with someone astute enough to recognize that the sidewalk was closed, and inquisitive enough to wonder why.

Apparently, a person had taken up residence on the roof of a building that happened to be very close (next door? I don't know, but it sounded like it) to the one that houses my current project with firearms, or at least one firearm. The person, who may or may not have been female, may or may not have fired shots, to no effect, at someone late last night from the rooftop. In any event, no one was being allowed anywhere near the building in which I have been working as of late, so after waiting about an hour to see if things might change, I went home.

Much later that afternoon, I got an email from my agency letting me know that all was well and we could go to work now. I don't know how many people went in at that late hour. I did not.

Everytime I talked to someone while waiting downtown, I heard a different story. I even heard from a police officer that we would never know the real story. I guess I don't really care that much. I got a day off, which I spent trying to get the house ready for Thanksgiving guests. So I've got that going for me.

No comments: