Try it!

Friday, January 22, 2016

This storm is fucking with my livelihood, and it isn't even here yet

The minute I called in sick on Monday, I should have realized that a winter storm of Biblical proportions would hit sometime this week and cause me to miss even more work. Bingo! A snow storm of historical size (predicted, anyway) is set to start Friday afternoon (I guess that means today, since it is after midnight) and continue snowing until sometime Sunday morning. DC is supposed to get about 24 inches, and where I live is deemed to be in the 25-30 inch range, with the possibility of 30-40 inches. That is an ass of snow or, as the Marines like to say, a metric shit ton. Any way you measure it, that's a whole lot of white stuff.

Metro, ever bold, ever ready to serve the public, promptly announced that it would be closing Friday night and there would be no more Metro trains until Monday morning. This is a subway system, for fuck's sake. Most of the tracks are underground. I get it, they can't run above ground if the snow gets too deep, but they could keep the underground part running. Nah, too much like work, so they've already thrown up their hands.

So, what did the law firms running this project do? Their reaction yesterday was damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Given the likelihood that I would be unable to get to work during the Saturday blizzard, I didn't really care whether the site is open Saturday, but I had hopes of being able to work Sunday, so this was encouraging.

That  all changed this morning. I used to be an associate at one of the firms running this project, so I already knew they were not exactly Viking warriors when it comes to staying open during major snow storms, but the speed and extent of their collapse on this was pretty impressive. They went from "fuck the weather, we're working" to "actually, we're closing at noon on Friday, we're closed Saturday and Sunday and we might stay closed Monday." Bold motherfuckers, I must say.

On the one hand, I am losing hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to this storm. On the other hand, I get to watch the NFC and AFC championship games on Sunday. If I have power. And if I can keep the satellite dish clear of snow. Believe me, if I have power at game time, that dish will be clear of snow and receiving a signal.

No comments: