Try it!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Busy down on The Farm

Went today, and going back tomorrow, it seems. Farmer Tom had business outside the home today, so I went to do some farming on my own. He had been busy before I got there, however. He built two new bed boxes:


He got a bunch of dirt:


And he transplanted the asparagus to the new bed we built last week:


Farmer Tom was busy. He also put a bunch of that dirt into our existing beds:


Just so:


As you can see from these pictures, he put too much dirt in these beds. It was up to me to remove enough dirt to put the beds at the proper level. Also, our potato and onion beds, which are at ground level, needed some bulking -up to keep them from being swamps:


Yeah, not exactly confidence-inspiring. So I went to work. It took me a while to get used to using the tractor with its front-end loader, but I got there. I was able to reduce the dirt-overage in the bed boxes:


Like so:


And add dirt to the ground-level potato and onion beds:


We are now ready to plant. I guess that will take place tomorrow, when we should put in cold-weather crops like peas, broccoli, spinach, carrots, radishes, maybe lettuce. We can put in other root crops such as the potatoes and onions, too. Should be a big day.

No comments: